Chris Matthews of Hardball joins the program!! He has just finished his book Bobby Kennedy – A Raging Spirit. Chris talks about RFK and how his history and childhood, and his relationship with Joe Kennedy Senior that informed his own politics. Those politics, according to Matthews, were just starting to develop at the end of his life, as he sought to defend society’s less fortunate, while keeping working people of all races in mind. In the interview, we discuss:
- RFK – Brash Political Operator or Inspiring Leader?
- Kennedy on Civil Rights
- Kennedy and Joe McCarthy – Did he do enough?
- Reagan and RFK
- Would Bobby Kennedy had won in 1968?
We can only discuss so much on the program of course, but for those who are subscribed to the My History Can Beat Up Your Politics Extra Premium Podcast, you’ll get more – including more about the campaign of Eugene McCarthy, the Senator from Minnesota who improbably took on the President in a primary many thought was a joke.
Listen to the Interview here:
CHRIS MATTHEWS: BOBBY KENNEDY A RAGING SPIRIT – INTERVIEW WITH BRUCE CARLSON OF MY HISTORY CAN BEAT UP YOUR POLITICS:
A few extra links for you:
- Bobby Kennedy and Civil Rights – Video featuring Chris Matthews
- RFK’s Tragic California Campaign– What he did, what it said about 1968 and long-term impact on California politics.
- Bobby Kennedy: A Raging Spirit – Chris’s book on RFK and his unique character and political vision. Publishes 10/31
- Speculation on the 1968 Election and RFK’s chances against Nixon. From 2016.